Who is a good candidate for a breast lift?
While breast augmentation typically focuses on enhancing the size of the bust, a breast lift may be a more ideal procedure for adjusting the shape, angle, symmetry and nipple placement of the breasts. Naturally, the two procedures are often performed at the same time for the most pleasing results. A breast lift is typically included as part of a Mommy Makeover, as the breasts may undergo significant drooping and deflation post-pregnancy.
The best candidates for breast lift surgery are in good health, psychologically and physically, and are at a stable weight that is proportionate to their frame. Dr. Schwartz’s Los Angeles clients find that they get the best results when they expect improvement rather than perfection, and when they abstain from smoking at least six weeks before surgery. If you’ve recently given birth, it’s best to wait at least 3 months before a breast lift is performed.
What are the different types of breast lifts?
- Periareolar – Also dubbed a Benelli or doughnut lift, the periareolar lift is achieved through a minimal circular incision hidden in the shaded pigmentation of the nipple area. This is an excellent solution for women with mild breast ptosis (sagging) and for whom a lower nipple placement is compromising the appearance of the breast. Most often it is performed in conjunction with breast augmentation.
- Lollipop – Here the doctor creates an incision encircling the areola and running down the breast vertically, allowing greater access to the breast tissue for reshaping. A lollipop lift can help improve the breast contour in those with moderate breast ptosis and downward facing nipples.
- Anchor – During this type of breast lift, the doctor creates an incision shaped like an upside-down “T”, or anchor, running from the areola down to the inframammary fold and then horizontally across the breast crease. Anchor lifts are ideal for patients with severe breast overhang, giving the surgeon full reign to excise fatty tissue and reposition the nipples. Anchor lifts are therefore often performed in tandem with breast reduction procedures.
What do I need to do before a breast lift?
If you have a history of breast cancer in your lineage, Dr. Schwartz will suggest a pre-op mammogram.
A breast lift is a major surgical procedure and therefore will require careful planning on your part. Make sure you have a friend, family member or hired assistant to drive you home and perhaps help you with childcare and basic chores for the first week or so while you recover.
What kind of results can I expect?
A breast lift can help improve the appearance of the bust in several key ways:
- Nipples are elevated and repositioned at a more attractive, perkier angle
- Areola stretching is minimized
- Breast symmetry is adjusted
- Breast sagging is reduced and in some cases completely reversed
- Breast shape is recontoured to complement the chest structure
- Breast projection is refined for a more youthful profile
Dr. Schwartz provides his Los Angeles breast lift clients with an in-depth private consultation, during which time he can help you to better visualize your results using a combination of before and after photography, and advanced 3D imaging.
Dr. Schwartz’s talent and capabilities as a surgeon are beyond compare. Please take a moment to view our beautiful photo gallery, to see for yourself the exquisite results that are possible when you undergo a breast lift with Dr. Michael R. Schwartz.