What is hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is the development of an uneven or patchy skin tone due to an excess of color-producing skin cells. Hyperpigmentation is typically harmless, and very treatable, however it can also be unsightly and usually manifests as dark skin flaws, sun spots, age spots, melasma and freckles. Treating these is a personal choice to achieve an even skin tone of whatever shade.
What are the benefits of Hyperpigmentation Treatment?
Our Thousand Oaks hyperpigmentation treatment has a number of primarily cosmetic benefits, with a handful of health benefits from treatments that rejuvenate collagen production. Benefits include:
- Reduce or eliminate stubborn age spots, sun spots, port wine stains and blotches
- Restore a healthy and harmonious complexion
- Many treatments involve collagen stimulation and an infusion of rejuvenators
- Produce an even skin tone free or blemishes and dark spots
Am I a candidate for pigmentation treatment?
Hyperpigmentation treatments create an even skin tone. If you have any of the following pigmentation issues, you may be a candidate for its treatment:
- Age spots
- Blotchy skin
- Liver spots
- Melasma (dark, discolored patches on the skin)
- Port wine stains
- Sun damage
How does hyperpigmentation treatment work?
After a personal consultation and careful evaluation, Dr. Schwartz will provide a patient-tailored pigmentation treatment plan, including any of the following treatment options:
- Chemical peels are topical treatments that improve skin quality by peeling away the fine upper surface of the dermis. They range from light or superficial, to medium and deep. A set of peels may be recommended to treat sun damage and pigmentation irregularities including freckles, age spots, and melasma.
- IPL, Intense Pulsed Light is used not only to improve dark spots, but also to reduce large pores, heal broken capillaries, clear up blemishes and restore a healthy and harmonious skin tone and texture.
- Microinfusion is a pain-free and effective procedure combining microneedling with skin rejuvenating products that improve a host of skin issues, including sun damage.
- Microdermabrasion can be used to exfoliate dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, improving age spots, brown spots, sun damage and freckles.
- Laser treatments are an effective way to reduce sun damage and the sings of aging. They work by delivering precise bursts of laser energy to the surface of the skin, causing the upper layers to shed, while stimulating cell renewal and skin rejuvenation. Additional laser options do not remove skin layers but do trigger rapid cell turnover which acts to treat a range of skin problems such as sun damage and age spots. These produce dramatic results with little downtime.
How fast will I see results?
Hyperpigmentation treatments are simple but occasionally protracted, so require patience and time to fully complete. Patients will however see immediate cosmetic and skin health improvements as well as immediately noticeable reduction of pigmentation over the course of treatments. In many cases, a single treatment session may be all that is required. With a personal consultation, we will be able to assess and advise on your own situation and provide you with the most reasonable expectations.
Hyperpigmentation treatment recovery
Recovery from hyperpigmentation treatment is usually rapid and involves only minimal pain or discomfort. Recovery time is dependent upon the type of treatment you receive. Following laser treatments and chemical peels, you should plan to stay home for a day or two as your skin heals, while with microinfusion and dermabrasion, you will likely be able to return to work and your normal activities almost immediately.
Meet Dr. Michael R. Schwartz
Double board certified in both plastic surgery and general surgery, Dr. Michael R. Schwartz is the go-to plastic surgeon for face, breast and body procedures. With over 20 years of experience, his vast expertise, meticulous eye for detail and rare level of artistry allow him to achieve results that are both beautiful and extremely natural.
Sought after all over the world for his expertise in plastic surgery, Dr. Schwartz has authored and presented numerous papers and has been an invited speaker at several national plastic surgery meetings. With his wealth of expertise, artistic skill and national reputation, few surgeons are more qualified than Dr. Schwartz to enhance your appearance and deliver the exquisite cosmetic outcomes you desire.